Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Arundhati Roy

"The things I've needed to say directly, I've said already. Now I feel like I would be repeating myself with different details," says Arundhati Roy in an article in NYT piece on her. I dearly hope and wish that Ms. Roy is not swayed away from the details by the apparent reiteration. We will be deprived of unparalleled clear narratives that has come with great personal risks to Ms. Roy, as the article makes it quite obvious.

"Titillating," is the word I attribute to the feelings her fiction "God of Small Things," had incited when I first read the book. The softness of her language cuddled a story that was not so kind. The woman so tender to her story has not been very delicate in her diagnoses of social ills ravaging India and in some cases the world. In the process, she has been a target, an outcast. Speaking truth to the power is a risky venture in these shores. The reactions tend to be visceral, personal, and defiant of logic and reasoning. But I hope we will continue to hear from Ms. Roy.

No comments:

Post a Comment