Thursday, September 26, 2013

Akabare Khursani

I waited at a school teacher's house for the jeep that's the main transport out of this village. The school teacher lamented about his trouble with the "gastric" while I listened to him attentively. Obviously, gastric needs no definition to those who know any Nepali. He described how he had tried all medications without much benefit until Akabare Khursani (Translated literally: King of Chili Pepper) came to his rescue. On a scale of 0-5 with 5 being the hottest imaginable, I would say Akabare Khursani would score 5 in its hotness and would be the sole chili pepper to do so. It is no toy for fickle-hearted among us! Earlier, it was a mantra not to take hot, spicy and sour (tato, piro, amilo) if you came down with gastric; now the tide had turned towards extreme hot/spicy. From the earlier proscription to the current splurge I thought we had made a full circle with our remedies for the gastric. 

The school teacher insisted that I take a sapling of the Akabare Khursani to Kathmandu. He brought a healthy sapling with roots in soil wrapped in a plastic bag. I put it at the side pocket of my backpack, the upper part of the plant breathing air. I rode out on the pick up of the jeep, breathing fresh air and dust. However, the road was blocked midway and we were asked to take another bus on a detour route. The bus was crowded. Little girls in the bus giggled at me constantly after seeing a sapling dangling out from the backpack. As I was pushed back by the crowd in the bus it seems like the sapling poked at the face of a mom of one of those girls. The mom shouted at me and I adjusted my angle. At Dumre I switched to another bus to Kathmandu. The conductor of the bus pronounced that the Khursani will not survive when putting my backpack at the trunk. It was wilted when I reached Kathmandu. 


The wilted Akabare Khursani has risen up now, green and perky in its pot of paint tub. It is steadfast in its quest to cure gastric that ravages countless souls in this nation with its mighty heat. 

3 comments:

  1. I have 4 humongous Akabare Khursani
    They are growing through the roof 2 of them
    The other two outside are doing great to .
    Blooming and producing Fruit , in Minnesota . They must like are climate .
    My friend is from Katmandu Nepal .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello , could you please let me know how to care for the akabare

    ReplyDelete
  3. The seeds were gift from Nepal which had 100% germination . The plants are now few months old , but they have stopped growing . We have a very hot weather here in Sydey Australia .

    ReplyDelete