Friday, May 31, 2013

Voter Registration

It was raining heavily but I thought this was an ideal time to go for my voter registration: I might not have to wait in line for long. So I went to the "Youth Club" just next to our ward office in Kathmandu, folding up my jeans, on a pair of rubber slippers, umbrella in hand. To my surprise, I was not the only creative soul to make this pragmatic decision. There were a few bunch. A woman from Butwal was being helped by an enthusiastic young staff to fill forms: there was a robust debate happening on her predicament that she needed to show evidence of migration (telephone/water bills) to be able to vote locally. There were several others, some looked like local folks that were just killing time watching activity at the place. The whole area was heavily guarded by riot police.

I was pleasantly surprised by my voter registration experience. The form was just about a half-page form with very relevant required informations to fill. And who would have expected- it asked your mother's name, even before your father's! To top this delight, the young women (who probably are temporarily hired election workers) were enthusiastic about helping me fill some areas which I had questions about. 

After filling the form, I was asked to go to a computer station where a gentleman took my form, took my picture and fingerprints. Then he asked where I was going to vote. I told him Gorkha. He plugged in my data and informed me that I will be voting at Lapsichaur Pra Bi. 

Here I come Baburam, a registered voter! Armed with a vote. Be prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment